I have five or six blog entries waiting on my phone to be posted, but I haven’t had the data coverage to do it yet. I’m in Stehekin, Washington, posting this on a land-line computer in their rec room. This town is really cool. The road ends at our trail where a bus picked us up and brought us into town. The only way into Stehekin is by trail, ferry or plane. So it’s pretty secluded.
Anyway, there’s been a ton of hype about the weather coming up. In fact, a large group of thru-hikers left here yesterday for Portland, Seattle, or even home. That’s a hard decision to make when there’s only 80 miles left. But our forecast is calling for tons of rain and snow, so you can’t really blame anyone. Tears and I and a few others are hiking the 19 miles out of Stehekin this morning to Rainy Pass where we’re meeting up with Aloha. We’ll go into town from there and re-evaluate our situation, check weather reports and decide what to do. For now, it’s sounding likely that we’ll sit for a day or two and wait for the blizzard to calm the heck down, then head out and get as far as the trail will allow us. If we have to turn around, we do, then hopefully take an alternate route. A bigger, better map has already been purchased, so we have a visual of some possible alternate routes.
It’s getting kind of crazy, and kind of scary. I didn’t think any of us would be in this position if we were planning on being done the first week in October. But it sounds like winter is here early, so here we are. Scrambling to beat the snow.
I’ll update more, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I just wanted to put out a quick post to let my readers, family and friends know I’m still doing well (even after the toughest stretch I’ve had so far), and we have a rough plan to be as safe as we can in these upcoming conditions. So you’ll hear from me again soon!
Love to you all!